If you have ever eaten curry, you can thank turmeric for it’s yellow color.
But did you know that turmeric is actually quite good for you because it contains compounds with medicinal properties?
Turmeric contains curcumin, a substance shown to have powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
It seems that our modern society is plagued with chronic inflammation. And it seems that we just generally accept aches and pains to come with aging. But research is showing that those “signs” of aging are symptoms of chronic inflammation rather than symptoms of getting older.
According to healthline.com:
**Curcumin, according to some research, can inhibit many molecules known to play major roles in inflammation.
**Curcumin has powerful antioxidant effects. It neutralizes free radicals on its own, then stimulates the body’s own antioxidant enzymes.
**Curcumin boosts levels of the brain hormone BDNF, which increases the growth of new neurons and fights various degenerative processes in the brain.
**Curcumin has beneficial effects on several factors known to play a role in heart disease. It improves the function of the endothelium and is a potent anti-inflammatory agent and antioxidant.
**Curcumin leads to several changes on the molecular level that may help prevent and perhaps even treat cancer.
**Curcumin can cross the blood-brain barrier and has been shown to lead to various improvements in the pathological process of Alzheimer’s disease.
**Arthritis is a common disorder characterized by joint inflammation. Many studies show that curcumin can help treat symptoms of arthritis and is in some cases more effective than anti-inflammatory drugs.
**A study in 60 depressed patients showed that curcumin was as effective as prozac in alleviating the symptoms of depression.
(check out healthline.com to see the sources of their research/information)
Here is a recipe we found on 40 Aprons for an Iced Golden Milk Turmeric Latte that we found (because we have tried this recipe!!) to be refreshing and delicious!!!
Iced Golden Milk Turmeric Latte
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk from carton vanilla or plain is fine
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened plain almond milk
- 3 Tbsp. maple syrup divided if you’d prefer an “ombré” look
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- Pinch ground black pepper
- Pinch ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice and shake well. Pour over ice and enjoy!
- If you’d like to pour the “golden milk” part over plain milk, like in my photos, combine the almond milk with 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup and stir well. Pour over two glasses filled with ice. In a cocktail shake, combine the coconut milk, all the spices, 2 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup, and plenty of ice. Shake well and pour over cups filled with ice and sweetened almond milk. Enjoy!
If you give this recipe a try, stop by our Facebook page and tell us what you think!!!
Oh, and leave Cheryl at 40 Aprons some love!
Looking for an easy way to fit healthy eating into your busy lifestyle? We can help! We make healthy breakfasts and lunches and deliver them to your door Sunday morning. All the meals are made with wholesome ingredients and are prepped and portioned in BPA-free, microwave safe containers. All you have to do each day, is decide which meal you are going to eat, grab it, and GO!!